The role of the Roslyn Primary School – School Council is one of helping to set the long term future for the school and maintaining oversight (not management) of the school’s operation. It is not about running the school which is the principal’s role.
At Roslyn Primary School, we have different sub-committees members of the council are involved in. These include:
- Buildings and Grounds.
- Community Engagement.
The responsibilities of the school council include:
- Contributing to the development of the school strategic plan
- Approving the annual budget
- Developing, monitoring, reviewing and updating policies
- Developing, reviewing and monitoring both the Student Engagement Policy (how the school expects the students to behave, how bullying will be managed and the school’s approach to managing student behaviour) and the School Dress Code.
- Informing itself and taking into account the views of the school community when making decisions regarding the school and students.
- Arranging for the supply of the things needed for the conduct of the school, including pre- and post- school programs.
- Raising money for things that the school needs.
- Making sure the school’s grounds and buildings are maintained.
- Entering into contracts for things like cleaning the school or a school council building project.
- Regulating and facilitating the after-hours use of the school premises and grounds.
- Creating interest in the school within the community.
- Making a recommendation to the Secretary regarding principal selection.